After a back-and-forth battle between the UFC and light heavyweight champion Jon Jones about who he’ll fight next, and when he’ll fight next, he’s made one thing perfectly clear– it won’t be in Sweden.
While the September 27 date has been set for Jon Jones’ highly anticipated title re-match with Alexander Gustafsson, no clear-cut location or venue has been confirmed, although the fight is just three months away.
The idea of Las Vegas, Toronto, and Sweden were all floated by UFC President Dana White as potential landing spots for the fight, which is looking more like Vegas by the day. The UFC already had a show booked in Toronto for August 30, which was to be the original date of the fight, before Jones shot it down. However, that event now doesn’t appear on the company’s website, and Jon Jones eliminated any possibility of fighting in Sweden while appearing on The MMA Hour this week.
“It won’t be Sweden, no chance,” said Jones “I have no reason (to go there). I’m the champ and he’s the challenger. I don’t really find it appropriate to go to his backyard.”
Jones had previously said that he’d much rather face a new challenger in undefeated Olympian Daniel Cormier as opposed to the re-match with Gustafsson. However, Jones and manager Malki Kawa met with Dana White and Lorenzo Ferttitta to hatch out a deal just a few weeks ago. Jones said that he wanted to be taken care of financially before accepting the second fight with Gustafsson.