After having a poor 2013-2014 season, many pundits thought Brooklyn Nets’ big man Kevin Garnett may call it a career.
However, throughout the process, the Nets have been of the belief Garnett would be returning for the 2014-2015 season and it looks like they were correct in that thinking.
According to Ohm Youngmisuk of ESPN New York, Garnett plans on returning to the Nets next season.
All indications are that Kevin Garnett is preparing to return for another season with the Brooklyn Nets, according to a league source.
Barring something unforeseen or a change of heart, Garnett has indicated he will begin preparing shortly for his 20th season.
General manager Billy King reiterated on Wednesday that the Nets have been operating as if Garnett is under contract and will play next season until told otherwise. King said he has been in touch with Garnett and added that he is optimistic about having the big man back and that the 38-year-old will begin training soon.
“Yes,” King said when asked if he believes Garnett will be able to play at a high level next season. “I think he’s preparing earlier this year than he did last summer.”
Garnett, along with swingman Paul Pierce and guard Jason Terry, was dealt from the Boston Celtics to the Nets last season. He averaged just 6.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game while shooting 44.1% from the field and 80.9% from the free throw line during the regular season. In the postseason, he only went for 6.9 points, 6.3 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game while shooting 52.4% from the field and 73.9% from the charity stripe.