New York Knicks’ free agent forward has been the biggest topic of conversation since free agency began just after midnight on Tuesday.
Anthony has already met with the Chicago Bulls, Houston Rockets, Dallas Mavericks and will be visiting Los Angeles to check out the Lakers on Thursday (The New York Knicks, who may still the favorite to retain Anthony, will have the last opportunity to meet with him). Many believe Anthony returning to New York may be a foregone conclusion, but that is apparently not the case.
According to Sean Deveney of Sporting News, Anthony has not decided what he is going to do and is going through the process with an open mind.
Still, a source with knowledge of the situation told Sporting News that Anthony has not, in fact, made any decisions. “He still has got an open mind,” the source said. “The Knicks have always been on the list, that is where his home is, that hasn’t changed. But there have not been any decisions made.”
That hasn’t stopped team officials who have met with Anthony from worrying about whether the entire Anthony tour has been a dog-and-pony show. Earlier this year, a source told SN that Anthony, who signed a three-year extension after being traded to the Knicks from Denver in 2011 and has never experienced free agency, was intent on getting the, “Dwight Howard treatment,” a reference to Howard’s free agency at this time last year, which featured elaborate presentations from five teams.
Anthony put up 27.4 points, 8.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists per game and shot 45.2% from the field, 40.2% from beyond the arc and 84.8% from the free throw line last season.