The Cleveland Indians will be without the services of speedy center fielder Michael Bourn for their next stretch of games. On Sunday the team placed Bourn on the 15-day disabled list with a left hamstring injury.
Bourn already missed the opening weeks of the season with a left hamstring injury, but he says this injury is slightly different in nature. Zack Meisel of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports the following:
Bourn, who felt his hamstring tighten up as he raced around the bases to score on Michael Brantley‘s ninth-inning single on Saturday, said this latest injury is in a different location than the spot that required off-season surgery.
The team promoted Triple-A outfielder Tyler Holt to take Bourn’s spot on the roster. Holt was batting .302/.433/.410 in 37 minor league games this season. As for Bourn, he was batting .267/.316/.379 with just seven stolen bases so far in 2014, showing the lingering impact of that injury beyond the missed games at the beginning of the season.
Coming off a 2013 season in which Bourn also struggled to have as much of an impact as he would like, the Indians will hope that this stint on the DL will get him healthy enough to look more like his old self. In 130 games last season Bourn batted .263/.316/.360 with 23 stolen bases. The season before that he stole 42 bases and got on base at a .348 clip while playing for the Atlanta Braves and Houston Astros.
Both this season and beyond, the Indians will hope to see more of a healthy Bourn and one who will show more to make his four-year, $48 million deal worth it.