In the main event of UFC Fight Night 45 at the Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey on Wednesday night, Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone and Jim Miller squared off in a five-round lightweight battle.
Cerrone (23-6, 1 NC) entered the bout on a three-fight winning streak and a win would lead to “Cowboy” being right in the middle of the title picture at 155-pounds.
Miller (24-4, 1 NC), meanwhile, stepped into the Octagon on a four-fight unbeaten streak.
The winner was set to take a big step forward in the lightweight division.
Play-by-play of the bout below:
Round 1: Cerrone immediately followed off a 1-2 combination before throwing a knee up the middle, but Miller answered with a big left hook upstairs. Miller was mixing it up nicely and keeping the pressure on Cerrone early. After Miller charged forward, Cerrone found himself with his back against the cage, but he quickly circled away. Miller caught a leg kick from Cerrone and landed a takedown, but Cerrone was able to stay active off his back and got back to his feet. Cerrone was using the knee down the middle effectively to catch Miller as he jumped in. Miller secured double underhooks when Cerrone came rushing in and he was able to land a takedown, but Cerrone perfectly used the whizzer to bounce right back to his feet. Cerrone landed a straight left that opened up a cut under Miller’s right eye and Cerrone then closed the distance looking for a takedown. Miller circled away from the cage and both men went back to the center of the cage. It was a back-and-forth, high paced round which gave us everything we expected to start the bout but Miller’s takedowns were enough to take the round. FanSided scorecard: 10-9, Miller
Round 2: Cerrone hit Miller with a perfect kick to the body just above the belt line and Miller crumbled to the mat. Unfortunately for Cerrone, the bout was halted as Miller said it was a low blow even though the replay clearly showed otherwise. Cerrone landed another big shot to the body that hurt Miller and Cerrone began to pick up the aggression. Miller was looking to get the fight to the mat, but Cerrone easily stepped out of the takedown attempt. Cerrone landed a huge right head kick after Miller’s hands dropped from the body shots and Miller was out. Just like that, Cerrone kept his momentum going with his fourth straight win inside of the Octagon.
Official Result: Donald Cerrone def. Jim Miller via KO (head kick) – Round 2, 3:31
Be sure to stay tuned to FanSided.com throughout the night for blow-by-blow coverage from UFC Fight Night 45.
Below are the latest UFC Fight Night 45 results:
click for play-by-play of each bout
- Edson Barboza def. Evan Dunham via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:06
- Rick Story def. Leonardo Mafra via submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 2:12
- Joe Proctor def. Justin Salas via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:27
- John Lineker def. Alptekin Ozkilic via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:51
- Lucas Martins def. Alex White via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2:08
- Gleison Tibau def. Pat Healy via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Leslie Smith def. Jessamyn Duke via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:24
- Aljamain Sterling def. Hugo Viana via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:50
- Yosdenis Cedeno def. Jerrod Sanders via TKO (retirement) – Round 1, 5:00
- Claudia Gadelha def. Tina Lahdemaki via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)