In the co-main event of UFC Fight Night 45: Cerrone vs. Miller at the Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey, Edson Barboza and Evan Dunham squared off in what promised to be an exciting lightweight clash.
Barboza (13-2) was coming off of a loss to main event participant Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone, but prior to the loss earlier this year he was on a three-fight winning streak. He was hoping to get back in the win column on Wednesday night.
Dunham (14-5), meanwhile, was just 1-3 in his last four fights and desperately needed a win to avoid the dreaded three-fight losing streak that could put his UFC career in jeopardy.
Play-by-play of the bout below:
Round 1: Barboza took the center of the Octagon and was patient looking for an opening to unload his strikes on Dunham, while Dunham looked to stay at a distance. Dunham looked to close the distance and shot for a takedown just over a minute into the round, but Barboza was able to shake off the attempt and moved right back to the center of the cage. Dunham picked up the aggression and started to press forward, but he ate a heavy counter from Barboza. Barboza opened up his kicking game with a huge kick to the liver that immediately dropped Dunham and brought an end to the fight. It was the fourth kick-related KO/TKO of Barboza’s career which is the most in UFC history.
Official Result: Edson Barboza def. Evan Dunham via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:06
Be sure to stay tuned to FanSided.com throughout the night for blow-by-blow coverage from UFC Fight Night 45.
Below are the latest UFC Fight Night 45 results:
click for play-by-play of each bout
- Rick Story def. Leonardo Mafra via submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 2:12
- Joe Proctor def. Justin Salas via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:27
- John Lineker def. Alptekin Ozkilic via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:51
- Lucas Martins def. Alex White via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2:08
- Gleison Tibau def. Pat Healy via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Leslie Smith def. Jessamyn Duke via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:24
- Aljamain Sterling def. Hugo Viana via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:50
- Yosdenis Cedeno def. Jerrod Sanders via TKO (retirement) – Round 1, 5:00
- Claudia Gadelha def. Tina Lahdemaki via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)