On Wednesday night, UFC fans were treated to the first strawweight bout in the promotion’s history when Claudia Gadelha and Tina Lahdemaki faced off in the opening bout of UFC Fight Night 45 at the Revel Casino Hotel in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
Gadelha put on a great show and proved why she was one of the most highly-touted 115-pound women in mixed martial arts, and now she is ready for a shot at the title.
The UFC will crown the inaugural strawweight champion following season 20 of The Ultimate Fighter, and it is safe to say that Gadelha will be keeping a close eye on the season and looking for a title shot.
The Nova Uniao product admitted as much following her win over Lahdemaki.
“I was the top contender in Invicta and I am ready to fight the winner of TUF 20 Finale,” Gadelha said after her win.
Gadelha was initially expected to be a part of the TUF 20 cast after the UFC absorbed a number of women from the Invicta strawweight division, but Gadelha was concerned about her ability to cut weight multiple times within the six-week period of filming.
She bypassed the show and found herself signed directly to the UFC, but she could still get an opportunity to taste UFC gold if the promotion decides her performance on Wednesday was deserving of a title shot.
Below are the full results from UFC Fight Night 45 on Wednesday night:
click for play-by-play of each bout
- Donald Cerrone def. Jim Miller via KO (head kick) – Round 2, 3:31
- Edson Barboza def. Evan Dunham via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 3:06
- Rick Story def. Leonardo Mafra via submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 2:12
- Joe Proctor def. Justin Salas via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:27
- John Lineker def. Alptekin Ozkilic via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:51
- Lucas Martins def. Alex White via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2:08
- Gleison Tibau def. Pat Healy via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Leslie Smith def. Jessamyn Duke via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:24
- Aljamain Sterling def. Hugo Viana via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:50
- Yosdenis Cedeno def. Jerrod Sanders via TKO (retirement) – Round 1, 5:00
- Claudia Gadelha def. Tina Lahdemaki via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)