To kick off the UFC Fight Night 49 main card, Tom Niinimaki and Chas Skelly squared off in a featherweight bout at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Niinimaki (21-6-1) entered the fight on the heels of a loss to Niklas Backstrom earlier this year which snapped an impressive eleven-fight winning streak. He was looking to get back on the winning track Saturday night.
Skelly (11-1) was looking for his first UFC win after suffering a loss in his Octagon debut back in April.
Play-by-play coverage from the bout can be seen below:
Round 1: Both men came out looking to push the pace right out of the gate. Skelly ended up on Niinimaki’s back after a scramble and dragged the Finland native to the mat. Niinimaki managed to grab a hold of Skelly’s neck and threatened with a guillotine, but Skelly popped out and jumped to the mount. Niinimaki gave up his back and Skelly looked for the rear-naked choke. As Skelly began to crank, Niinimaki was forced to tap out.
Official Result: Chas Skelly def. Tom Niinimaki via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:35
The current results for UFC Fight Night 48 can be seen below:
- Neil Magny def. Alex Garcia via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Beneil Dariush def. Tony Martin via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:38
- Matt Hobar def. Aaron Phillips via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ben Saunders def. Chris Heatherly via submission (omaplata) – Round 1, 2:18
- Wilson Reis def. Joby Sanchez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
Be sure to stay tuned to FanSided.com throughout the day, as we bring you live play-by-play coverage of the second event from the UFC double-header on the scene from Tulsa, Oklahoma.