UFC Fight Night 49 took place on Saturday night at the BOK Center in Tulsa, Oklahoma, in the second event of the UFC’s Saturday double-header.
To start off the night, fans were treated to an exciting undercard full of back-and-forth bouts that included the triumphant return of Ben Saunders. In Saunders’ UFC return, he managed to do something we have never seen in UFC history by finishing his fight with an omaplata submission.
When the main card kicked off, we were treated to some thrilling finishes from Chas Skelly, Max Holloway and Thales Leites.
Skelly ran through Tom Niinamaki with a first-round submission win, while Max Holloway had his hands full with a very tough UFC newcomer in Clay Collard. Holloway threw the kitchen sink at Collard, but Collard’s chin held up until the final round when he was stopped with ground-and-pound.
For Leites, a lackluster first round left the crowd uneasy, but he needed just 20 seconds in the second frame to knockout Francis Carmont with a vicious flurry after coming out of his corner with some unlikely aggression.
In the co-main event, Jordan Mein must have taken inspiration from Leites’ performance and scored a devastating knockout win of his own by taking out veteran Mike Pyle in the opening round.
To cap things off, Rafael dos Anjos stunned the crowd by delivering the third straight knockout finish of the night. Dos Anjos caught Benson Henderson with a huge left hand that sent the former champion crumbling to the mat.
If you missed out on Saturday night’s event, we have the full UFC Fight Night 49 results below:
(click for full play-by-play recap)
- Rafael dos Anjos def. Benson Henderson via KO (punch) – Round 1, 2:31
- Jordan Mein def. Mike Pyle via KO (punches) – Round 1, 1:12
- Thales Leites def. Francis Carmont via KO (strikes) – Round 2, 0:20
- Max Holloway def. Clay Collard via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:47
- James Vick def. Valmir Lazaro via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 29-28)
- Chas Skelly def. Tom Niinimaki via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:35
- Neil Magny def. Alex Garcia via unanimous decision (29-28, 30-27, 30-27)
- Beneil Dariush def. Tony Martin via submission (arm-triangle choke) – Round 2, 3:38
- Matt Hobar def. Aaron Phillips via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Ben Saunders def. Chris Heatherly via submission (omaplata) – Round 1, 2:18
- Wilson Reis def. Joby Sanchez via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)