Star Trek 3 took a hit earlier this month when first-time director Roberto Orci was fired over a script dispute with Paramount. Could Jonathan Frakes be next?
So Paramount wasn’t crazy about director Roberto Orci wanting to turn the 50th anniversary release of Star Trek 3 in 2016 into another time-travel mess.
Paramouth was not crazy about it enough to toss Orci—and his script—out the window, firing the would-be first-time director.
More from Entertainment
- 10 greatest fictional football players of all time
- Stephen A. Smith learned quickly not to mess with Rihanna
- Everything to know about Taylor Swift’s Thursday Night Football appearance
- House of the Dragon live stream: How to watch
- From boxing to cinema, Javon Walton stars in Samaritan with Stallone
According to Deadline, Edgar Wright (Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, The World’s End) is on the short list to replace Orci, but Trek fans have launched a Twitter campaign to draft a name from the franchise’s long history.
Jonathan Frakes, who played Commander Will Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation as well as the four films that crew did, is the subject of the #BringinRiker hashtag campaign on Twitter.
Frakes also directed two of those films, the really good Star Trek: First Contact and the not-so-good Star Trek: Insurrection.
He told KOMO News Radio that he’s “all over it,” adding:
"“I would love that job. I’m trying to keep the lid on how excited I am about the possibility, knowing it’s such a long shot. But there’s nothing I would like better.”"
Frakes said he’s been in touch with Paramount and is waiting to hear something in response.
Paramount desperately wants to keep the film on target for its scheduled 2016 release to coincide with the 50th anniversary of Star Trek’s debut on NBC in 1966.
According to Bad Ass Digest, Orci’s script had the Enterprise, the Vulcans and some new aliens trying to get a time travel device that the Vulcans want to use to go back in time and stop the destruction of their planet—thus rendering the first two installments of J.J. Abrams’ reboot moot.
Paramount shut the production down in November and sent the design crews home.
So whoever comes into direct will have to—for lack of a better term—reboot Star Trek 3 in order to get the rebooted franchise back on track for a 2016 release.
Is that something that Number One could handle?
He was Captain Picard’s right-hand dude for seven years and four movies, after all.
More from FanSided
- NFL rumors: Aaron Rodgers sets Jets up for Super Bowl run with new contract
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return