Malcolm Smith has agreed to a deal with the Oakland Raiders.
Back in the day when Al Davis was running the Oakland Raiders, it was commonplace to see the team add a Super Bowl MVP onto the roster. They did it multiple times and it seems like the team is going back to that philosophy with their latest signing as NFL free agency has opened up on Tuesday afternoon. The Raiders have signed former Super Bowl MVP Malcolm Smith onto the defense.
More from Las Vegas Raiders
- Raiders: Saquon Barkley’s new contract may have screwed over Josh Jacobs
- Raiders sign coveted All-Pro ahead of training camp
- Raiders RB Josh Jacobs leaves Vegas in dramatic fashion amid contract dispute
- NFL Rumors: Insider predicts great news for Raiders on free agency front
- Austin Ekeler leading RB revolt with Zoom meeting of biggest names
Smith seems like he is following Raiders new defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr to town. Norton Jr was Smith’s linebackers coach when he was in Seattle and he also coached Smith at USC.
Smith has played outside linebacker for his career, but the team may move him inside. The team already has Khalil Mack and Sio Moore at the outside linebacker position and need some help in the middle of the defense. Norton would know if Smith is capable of making that move into the middle of the defense. We will see if it is a good move for him on the defense.
Smith had a breakout year in 2013 during the Seahawks Super Bowl run. He as all over the field in that Super Bowl game and made a ton of plays against those Denver Broncos. He will get a chance to face off against that team twice per season now.
Smith has played 4 seasons in the league and has mainly been a backup player with the Seahawks. He finished the year with 38 tackles and 2 forced fumbles. He could get the opportunity to start in the middle or will work as a backup behind Moore and Mack.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle