The NHL Draft Lottery is the start of the process to make sure the Stanley Cup doesn’t remain at an arm’s length.
The NHL Draft Lottery is tonight, and it’s the first chance for many teams to start rebuilding to ensure they don’t miss the postseason and continue to miss out on racing for the Stanely Cup. Playoff teams this year like the St. Louis Blues, Minnesota Wild, Calgary Flames and others have built winners over the years through the draft and by making smart moves — and that’s what the bottom feeders in the NHL are hoping to do this offseason.
More from NHL
- NHL Rumors: Legendary Patrice Bergeron retires, which 3 players could be next to hang up their skates?
- NHL Rumors: Latest on Hart, Hellebuyck, Gibson trade possibilities
- NHL Rumors: 5 forwards most likely to sign early extensions this summer
- NHL Rumors: Where things stand with Erik Karlsson, Penguins and Hurricanes
- NHL Rumors: Penguins nearly traded for Erik Karlsson at deadline
This year, the prized prospect of the draft is youngster Connor McDavid. The Canadian star is just a teenager, but he’s already being viewed by the worst teams in the NHL as their possible savior. We’ve seen with prospects like Matt Dumba in Minnesota or Nathan MacKinnon in Colorado that building through the draft is not only important but can have an immediate impact on your team.
Last year saw prized prospect Aaron Ekbald go to the Florida Panthers, a team that may not be ready to win now but secured a massive pillar for their future with the No. 1 pick. Nathan MacKinnon was that guy for the Avalanche in 2013 and he led them to the postseason in his rookie year. Not everyone is a stud, as Nail Yakupov and the endless string of Edmonton picks over the years have failed to produce a winner, but there’s always hope that youth will inject energy and excitement.
Here’s a look at the final odds before the NHL Draft Lottery:
1. Buffalo Sabres 20.0%
2. Arizona Coyotes 13.5%
3. Edmonton Oilers 11.5%
4. Toronto Maple Leafs 9.5%
5. Carolina Hurricanes 8.5%
6. New Jersey Devils 7.5%
7. Philadelphia Flyers 6.5%
8. Columbus Blue Jackets 6.0%
9. San Jose Sharks 5.0%
10. Colorado Avalanche 3.5%
11. Florida Panthers 3.0%
12. Dallas Stars 2.5%
13. Los Angeles Kings 2.0%
14. Boston Bruins 1.0%
Here’s all the information you need to know so you son’t miss the NHL Draft Lottery this year:
Date: Saturday, April 18th
Start Time: 8pm ET
Channel: NHL Network, TSN
Live Stream: NHL.com
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle