Surprise, surprise – the Kansas City Royals have the best bullpen in Major League Baseball.
Through the first 14 games of the season, the Royals bullpen is 4-0 with a Major League leading 0.64 ERA, as well as seven saves, 35 strikeouts and only eight walks in 42.1 innings. Kansas City has also held opponents to a .150 batting average, which is the lowest in the big leagues.
More from Houston Astros
- NY Mets: 4 monstrous trade packages for Justin Verlander and Max Scherzer
- MLB Rumors: Willson Contreras trade suitor, Reds surprise move, Giolito war
- MLB standings ordered by hard hit rate: Struggling Cardinals still cracking bats
- MLB Rumors: Yankees, Astros set for trade showdown for big-name bat
- MLB rumors: Justin Verlander buzz, Astros target All-Star, Reds-White Sox deal
They may not have All-Star closer Greg Holland right now because hit the 15-day disabled list April 18 with a right pectoral strain, but that just means the unit will even better when he returns.
With Holland on the shelf, Wade Davis is the active closer in KC. In seven innings spread across seven appearances, the big right-hander has allowed just one hit and one walk for a miniscule .045 opponent’s batting average and 0.29 WHIP. Davis has three saves and also picked up two wins.
Kelvin Herrera is one of the best setup men in baseball, and though he’ll miss a handful of games for last week’s incidents with the Oakland A’s, he’s been nearly perfect this year, as has Jason Frasor and lefty Franklin Morales.
In fact, none of the players mentioned so far has allowed a run this season and all five have pitched in at least four games.
Add veterans Chris Young and Ryan Madsen, along with youngster Yohan Pino, and it’s easy to see that the Kansas City Royals have the top bullpen in the big leagues.
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle