With the Feb. 25 trade deadline on the not-so-distant horizon, let’s review some updates to our National Hockey League trade bait board.
With just a few days to go until the NHL trade deadline, the hockey world waits in anticipation for gestures of indication from one team — the Ottawa Senators.
Three of the most attractive targets on this year’s block — Mark Stone, Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel, respectively — serve as ideal targets for a wide range of teams across the league. Add the likes of Artemi Panarin and Sergei Bobrovsky of the Columbus Blue Jackets to the mix and the tools for a momentum-shifting day appear to loom on the not-so-distant horizon.
Frequently riddled with expectations, but notorious for falling short in its translation of apparent aspirations into a reality, the trade deadline carries a host of implications for both Stanley Cup pretenders and contenders. Buyers and sellers abound, the sport’s executives prepare to set offers for esteemed trade chips — with the hope of ushering forth success in the months to come.
The Carolina Hurricanes will be particularly interesting, as the team’s abundance of defensive pieces have the potential to shift the market in the days to follow. But for now, we wait for the first major splash.
Our updated trade bait board is as follows.
- Mark Stone (RW, Ottawa Senators)
- Matt Duchesse (C, Ottawa Senators) — TRADED TO THE COLUMBUS BLUE JACKETS
- Artemi Panarin (LW, Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Winnipeg Jets’ first-round pick in the 2019 draft
- Wayne Simmonds (RW, Philadelphia Flyers)
- Kevin Hayes (C, New York Rangers)
- Mats Zuccarello (RW, New York Rangers)
- Ryan Dzingel (LW, Ottawa Senators)
- Gustav Nyquist (RW, Detroit Red Wings)
- Jimmy Howard (G, Detroit Red Wings)
- Sergei Bobrovsky (G, Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Michael Ferland (LW, Carolina Hurricanes)
- Nick Jensen (D, Detroit Red Wings)
- Marcus Johansson (LW, New Jersey Devils)
- Dougie Hamilton (D, Carolina Hurricanes)
- Jack Roslovic (C/RW, Winnipeg Jets)
- Adam Henrique (C, Anaheim Ducks)
- Alexander Wennberg (C, Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Jonathan Huberdeau (LW, Florida Panthers)
- Derick Brassard (C, Florida Panthers)
- Eeli Tolvanen (RW, Nashville Predators)
- Artem Anisimov (C, Chicago Blackhawks)
- Cody Ceci (D, Ottawa Senators)
- Jason Zucker (LW, Minnesota Wild)
- Mike Hoffman (RW, Florida Panthers)
- Brett Pesce (D, Carolina Hurricanes)
- Luke Glendening (C, Detroit Red Wings)
- Alex Chiasson (RW, Edmonton Oilers)
- Andre Burakovsky (LW, Washington Capitals)
- Justin Faulk (D, Carolina Hurricanes)
The NHL trade deadline shall take place on February 25th. Be sure to check back for further updates on what promises to be a noteworthy day.
NOTE: The board has been updated to include the fact that Matt Duchene has been traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets.