5. Week 13 College Basketball Rankings: Arizona Wildcats (3)
- Record: 17-2 (7-1 in Pac-12)
- Last Week: Lost 75-59 at No. 7 UCLA, Won 67-56 vs. Arizona State
- This Week: Vs. No. 7 UCLA 2/3, Vs. No. 15 USC 2/5
Losing at UCLA, which was the Wildcats’ third game in five days, is understandable but struggling at home against a bad Arizona State team isn’t a great look for Arizona. This week sees both Southern California schools come to town and Arizona can make a real statement by finding a way to win both games.
4. Week 13 College Basketball Rankings: Purdue Boilermakers (4)
- Record: 18-3 (7-3 in Big Ten)
- Last Week: Won 83-73 at Iowa, Won 81-78 vs. No. 16 Ohio State
- This Week: At Minnesota 2/2, Vs. Michigan 2/5
The Boilermakers went 2-0 this week but Sunday’s game against Ohio State was alarming since Purdue gave up 48 points to the Buckeyes in the second half and needed a heroic three from Jaden Ivey at the buzzer to avoid a massive collapse. No harm, no foul right now but this team is capable of a lot more than they have shown over the past few weeks.
3. Week 13 College Basketball Rankings: UCLA Bruins (8)
- Record: 16-2 (8-1 in Pac-12)
- Last Week: Won 75-59 vs. No. 3 Arizona, Won 81-57 vs. California, Won 66-43 vs. Stanford
- This Week: At No. 3 Arizona 2/3, At Arizona State 2/5
Beating Arizona was impressive, but the Bruins’ dominating wins over Cal and Stanford look even better since UCLA had to play those games without Johnny Juzang, who was in COVID protocols. Juzang should be back in time for UCLA’s trip to Arizona which could help determine who wins the Pac-12 this season.
2. Week 13 College Basketball Rankings: Gonzaga Bulldogs (2)
- Record: 17-2 (6-0 in WCC)
- Last Week: Won 89-55 vs. Loyola Marymount, Won 104-72 vs. Portland
- This Week: At San Diego 2/3, At BYU 2/5
It was a ho-hum week for Gonzaga, which predictably held serve against two of the WCC’s worst teams with blowout home wins. A makeup game with San Diego was added on Thursday ahead of one of the toughest road trips of the season for the Bulldogs, who head to Provo to take on a Cougars’ team capable of making some noise in the NCAA Tournament.
1. Week 13 College Basketball Rankings: Auburn Tigers (1)
- Record: 20-1 (8-0 in SEC)
- Last Week: Won 55-54 at Missouri, Won 86-68 vs. Oklahoma
- This Week: Vs. Alabama 2/1, At Georgia 2/5
It looked like the weight of No. 1 was going to be too much for Auburn as they struggled to sneak by Missouri but Saturday’s dominant effort against Oklahoma restored some confidence in the Tigers. A rematch with Alabama on Tuesday night is the tougher lift for Auburn, which only won by four when these teams met in Tuscaloosa on Jan. 11.
For more NCAA basketball news, analysis, opinion and features, check out more from the FanSided college basketball section to stay on top of the latest action.