UFC light-heavyweight contender Alexander Gustafsson is set to face off against Gegard Mousasi next weekend in the main event of UFC on FUEL TV. However, the status of the fight is now up in the air after rumors have began to circulate that the Swedish fighter may be forced out of the fight in his home country due to an injury. It would be a devastating blow to the fight card and the organization.
The reports indicate that Gustafsson suffered a cut to his eyebrow during sparring. Here is the translated report from SVT Sports:
According to the SVT Sport Gustafsson turned up a notch in the eyebrow when sparring in training, which makes the start very uncertain.
At the time of this posting, Mousasi’s camp was not informed that the fight was off and they anticipate the bout to continue as planned.
The Gustafsson vs. Mousasi match up is one of the most intriguing fights on paper that we have seen this year and the bout will play a big part in determining the rankings among the top of the 205-pound division. Let’s hope that Gustafsson’s cut can quickly heal and that he will not be forced from the card.
Here is how the fight card is supposed to look for next weekend’s event:
- Alexander Gustafsson vs. Gegard Mousasi
- Ryan Couture vs. Ross Pearson
- Philip De Fries vs. Matt Mitrione
- Mike Easton vs. Brad Pickett
- Diego Brandao vs. Pablo Garza
- Akira Corassani vs. Robert Peralta
- Michael Johnson vs. Reza Madadi
- Adam Cella vs. Tor Troeng
- Adlan Amagov vs. Chris Spang
- Marcus Brimage vs. Conor McGregor
- Ben Alloway vs. Ryan LaFlare
- Michael Kuiper vs. Tom Lawlor
- Papy Abedi vs. Besam Yousef
We will keep you updated on Gustafsson’s status as more information becomes available.