Former UFC light heavyweight Seth Petruzelli was looking to get the biggest win he has had since Kimbo Slice, when he faced off against former Strikeforce champion Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal. Unfortunately for Petruzelli, he ran in to a King Mo that was desperate to get back on the winning track in impressive fashio and that is just what went down on Wednesday night.
King Mo was looking to recover from his spinning-backfist knockout loss to Emanuel Newton and he put that memory to rest in the Bellator 96 headliner when he landed a vicious ground and pound shot that left Petruzelli knocked out cold just over a minute and a half in the first round.
The WinStar World Casino at Thackerville, Oklahoma played host to King Mo’s brutal KO of Petruzelli, which was a lead in to the new reality series “Bellator MMA: Fight Master”.
With the win, King Mo advances to the next round of the Bellator light heavyweight tournament where he faces fellow Bellator 96 winner Jacob Noe.
Here are the full results from last night’s event:
- Muhammed Lawal def. Seth Petruzelli via knockout (punch) – Round 1, 1:35 – light-heavyweight tournament opening round
- Jacob Noe def. Renato Sobral via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 3:32 – light-heavyweight tournament opening round
- Vitaly Minakov def. Ron Sparks via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 0:32 – heavyweight-tournament opening round
- War Machine def. Blas Avena via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 3:55
- Chas Skelly def. Jarrod Card via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Keith Berry def. Cortez Coleman via split decision (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)
- Mike Maldonado def. Chavous Smith via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 1, 2:27
- Damon Jackson def. Keith Miner via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:00
- Raphael Butler def. Jeremiah O’Neal via TKO (punches) – Round 1, 2:57
- Ryan Martinez def. Rich Hale via knockout (punches) – Round 1, 2:19 – heavyweight-tournament opening round
- Brandon Halsey def. Joe Yager via split decision (30-28, 28-30, 30-28)
- Derek Campos def. Brandon Girtz via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Justin McNally def. Steven Artoff via verbal submission (triangle choke) – Round 1, 2:44