World Series of Fighting 4 took place on Saturday night and one of the most anticipated bouts of the night was a lightweight battle between Nick Newell and Keon Caldwell. All eyes were on this fight because it was one of the first times that Newell was available to such a large audience. Newell was born without much of his left arm, but he has never let that slow him down inside of the cage.
Saturday night was no different.
Newell was able to improve his record to 10-0 with a first-round submission victory just over two minutes in to the fight. The official stoppage came when Caldwell tapped out to a guillotine choke that Newell locked in at 2:07 in the first frame. The stoppage victory, which was Newell’s seventh of his career and ninth first-round stoppage, earned Newell a spot on ESPN SportsCenter’s top 10 plays of the day.
With the win, Newell will now earn a spot in the World Series of Fighting lightweight tournament that the promotion is planning to crown their first 155-pound champion.
If you didn’t get a chance to see Newell’s impressive performance on Saturday, you can check out the video below:
Here are the full results from Saturday night’s event:
- Tyrone Spong def. Angel DeAnda via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Marlon Moraes def. Brandon Hempleman via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27)
- Nick Newell def. Keon Caldwell via submission (guillotine choke) – Round 1, 2:07
- Dave Huckaba def. Ray Sefo via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 4:32
- Gesias Cavalcante def. Tyson Griffin via TKO (punches) – Round 3, 1:37
- Gerald Harris def. Jorge Santiago via unanimous decision (29-27, 29-27, 29-27)
- Lewis Gonzales def. Antonio McKee via unanimous technical decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)
- Jared Papazian def. John Robles via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 29-28)
- Victor Valenzuela def. Isaac Gutierrez via submission (rear-naked choke) – Round 2, 2:41