Shortly after UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey defended her title against Miesha Tate this weekend at UFC 168, the UFC announced Rousey’s next title defense would come on short notice as she returns to the octagon in February to take on Sara McMann for the title.
At the UFC 168 post-fight press conference, the poster for the event was released and it also featured Daniel Cormier vs. Rashad Evans and Gilbert Melendez vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov. However, the key lightweight fight is not yet official for the event.
“Not true, this fight is not done yet,” UFC president Dana White wrote on Twitter.
If the bout occurs, it would be one of the most important fights in the lightweight division with the winner back in the title mix, but we will have to wait and see if things come to fruition.
Here is a look at the current line up for UFC 170, which could eventually feature Melendez vs. Nurmagomedov:
- Champ Ronda Rousey vs. Sara McMann – for women’s bantamweight title
- Daniel Cormier vs. Rashad Evans
- Rory MacDonald vs. Demian Maia
- Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rustam Khabilov
- Mike Pyle vs. T.J. Waldburger
- Raphael Assuncao vs. Francisco Rivera
- Stephen Thompson vs. Robert Whittaker