Mixed martial arts fans were in for a treat on Saturday, with another UFC double-header. While the double-header would come to a close on Saturday night in San Antonio, Texas with UFC Fight Night 44, the action kicked off bright and early with UFC Fight Night 43: Te Huna vs. Marquardt in Auckland, New Zealand.
The up-and-comers often put on some of the best fights inside of the Octagon, so the UFC Fight Night 43 preliminary card was action-packed and full of finishes that got the crowd at Vector Arena on their feet.
After we got started off with a split-decision between Gian Villante and Sean O’Connell, the fighters prelim fighters started to string together finishes to build some momentum towards the main card. The preliminary card ended on a high note with 19 year old Jake Matthews earning an impressive finish in the final round of his fight with Dashon Johnson.
If you were unable to catch the preliminary card on UFC Fight Pass, we’ve got you covered with the full results below.
(click for full fight recap)
- Jake Matthews def. Dashon Johnson via submission (triangle choke) – Round 3, 3:16
- Richie Vaculik def. Roaldan Sangcha-an via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Vik Grujic def. Chris Indich via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 4:55
- Neil Magny def. Rodrigo Goiana de Lima via TKO (punches) – Round 2, 2:32
- Daniel Hooker def. Ian Entwistle via TKO (elbows) – Round 1, 3:34
- Gian Villante def. Sean O’Connell via split-decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
Be sure to stay tuned to FanSided.com throughout the remainder of the day for blow-by-blow coverage of the UFC’s double-header.