UFC 177 has added a second title fight to the lineup. On Tuesday night, it was reported that flyweight champion Demetrious Johnson will be defending his title in the co-main event against Chris Cariaso.
Kevin Iole of Yahoo! Sports was the first to break the news.
The event will be held on Aug. 30 at Sleep Train Arena in Sacramento, California, with TJ Dillashaw making his first bantamweight title defense against former champion Renan Barao, who he defeated earlier this year.
Johnson (20-2-1) will be making his second title defense of the year.
It will be a quick turnaround for the flyweight champion, who defeated Ali Bagautinov in the main event of UFC 174 in June.
Cariaso (17-5) is on a three-fight winning streak. Since joining the UFC in 2011, Cariaso has gone 7-3.
Following his win over Louis Smolka at “UFC Fight Night: Brown vs. Silva” in Cincinnati in May, Cariaso asked for a step up in competition. Cariaso said that he was hoping for a top five opponent and now he will get his wish by taking on the champion.
Cariaso was expected to face Kyoji Horiguchi on Sept. 21 in Japan, but the opportunity to take a title shot was too much to pass up.
With the addition of the second title fight for UFC 177, here is the updated fight card:
- T.J. Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao for bantamweight title
- Demetrious Johnson vs. Chris Cariaso for flyweight title
- Shayna Baszler vs. Bethe Correia
- Danny Castillo vs. Tony Ferguson
- Anthony Hamilton vs. Ruan Potts
- Carlos Diego Ferreira vs. Ramsey Nijem
- Derek Brunson vs. Lorenz Larkin
- Justin Edwards vs. Yancy Medeiros