After back-to-back thrilling bouts on the UFC Fight Night 45: Cerrone vs. Miller main card, the action shifted to the welterweight division for a meeting between UFC veteran Rick Story and TUF: Brazil’s Leonardo Mafra.
Marfa (11-1) was making his UFC debut on a five-fight winning streak with all five wins coming by way of knockout.
Story (16-8), meanwhile, was hoping to get back in the win column after a recent loss to Kelvin Gastelum. Story was just 3-5 in his last eight bouts, so he needed a win in a big way to get his career back on the right track.
Play-by-play of the bout below:
Round 1: Mafra and Story wasted no time getting after each other as they immediately took the center for the Octagon for a big exchange. Marfa landed a beautiful combination, but Story landed a takedown and found himself working from inside of Mafra’s guard. Mafra got back to his feet, but Story quickly landed another takedown. Story was laying heavy in the top position and controlling Mafra from the half guard. Story was staying active with his strikes inside of Mafra’s guard, but Marfa bounced back to his feet. That didn’t last long, as Story easily landed yet another takedown to ride out the round. FanSided scorecard: 10-9, Story
Round 2: Story opened up the round with a big takedown slam and landed in side control. Mafra regained half guard, but he wasn’t able to do a thing off of his back. Story locked up the arm triangle and Mafra was immediately forced to tap.
Official Result: Rick Story def. Leonardo Mafra via submission (arm triangle) – Round 2, 2:12
Be sure to stay tuned to FanSided.com throughout the night for blow-by-blow coverage from UFC Fight Night 45.
Below are the latest UFC Fight Night 45 results:
click for play-by-play of each bout
- Joe Proctor def. Justin Salas via TKO (strikes) – Round 2, 3:27
- John Lineker def. Alptekin Ozkilic via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 4:51
- Lucas Martins def. Alex White via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 2:08
- Gleison Tibau def. Pat Healy via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
- Leslie Smith def. Jessamyn Duke via TKO (strikes) – Round 1, 2:24
- Aljamain Sterling def. Hugo Viana via TKO (strikes) – Round 3, 3:50
- Yosdenis Cedeno def. Jerrod Sanders via TKO (retirement) – Round 1, 5:00
- Claudia Gadelha def. Tina Lahdemaki via unanimous decision (30-26, 30-27, 30-27)