Every year at the NFL Scouting Combine, there is a stupidity test a.k.a. “random” drug test that each player must undergo. They know that the tests are coming, so a failed test raises some major red flags and lets NFL teams that know the player may not be as serious about football as they would like.
This year at the combine, more than ten players reportedly failed their drug tests in Indianapolis.
Jay Glazer of FOX Sports passed along the news.
Among the notable players to fail their combine drug tests were:
- LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger
- Florida State defensive tackle Timmy Jernigan
- Florida State linebacker Telvin Smith
- Florida State linebacker Christian Jones
- LSU defensive tackle Anthony Johnson
- Miami offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson
Mettenberger says he had a diluted sample because of dehydration from his recovery from a torn ACL.
It will now be interesting to see what will happen for the following prospects on draft day and how far they will fall — especially Timmy Jernigan, who many believed to be a first-round pick.