According to Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish, the New York Mets have not talked about a contract with second baseman Daniel Murphy.
Daniel Murphy told me today there have been no extension talks with #Mets yet.
— Chris Cotillo (@ChrisCotillo) July 14, 2014
The 29-year-old Murphy is enjoying another solid season in the Big Apple, batting .294/.342/.413 in 92 games. He’s also added seven home runs, 37 RBIs and 23 doubles while staying healthy – something he has done in each of the past three seasons, playing in 156, 161 and to-date, 91 games.
Earlier this month, Tim Rohan of the New York Times talked with Mets’ officials, including assistant general manager John Ricco, about Murphy.
“We haven’t specifically talked about Dan recently,” Ricco said. “He is one of the more valuable guys we have. He leads the league in hits. He’s settled in as one of the best second basemen in the game, certainly offensively, and is a leader on our team.”
The former 13th-round pick of the Mets is currently enjoying his first All-Star selection as a member of the National League team and has been oft-rumored to be potential trade targets for teams looking for impact infield help. Last season, Murphy narrowly missed out on breaking the 200-hit plateau, tallying 188. In 92 games this season, he has 113 hits – which is tied for sixth in all of Major League Baseball.
The Mets, on the other hand, are working to stay in the National League East race. They enter the season’s second half at 45-50, trailing the division-leading Washington Nationals and Atlanta Braves by 7 1/2 games. New York won its final three games prior to the break, matching back-to-back wins by both the Braves and Nats.