Wisconsin Badgers head coach Bo Ryan complained about the referees after his team blew a lead against the Duke Blue Devils in the National Championship game and lost 68-63.
Bo Ryan and the Wisconsin Badgers made an impressive run to the National Championship game this season, and it appeared that they had the Duke Blue Devils on their heels for the majority of the big game. Wisconsin jumped out early and never looked back, until late in the second half when Duke began playing energetic one defense and hitting big shots.
After the game, Ryan talked to the media and criticized the referees for calls that he felt should have been made.
He was very polite about the way that he criticized the referees, but it was still very obvious that he was angry with the way that the game was officiated. There is no doubt that he was 100 percent correct in his assessment of the game, but great teams adapt to that type of change. The Badgers and Blue Devils were on an even playing field, and Duke figured out how to continue playing their game.
More from Mens Basketball
- Bronny James collapses at practice, taken to ICU with cardiac arrest
- 3 quick takeaways from Kentucky basketball’s win vs. Germany at GLOBL JAM
- UNC basketball adds fifth transfer of offseason with West Virginia big
- Undrafted Kentucky basketball star makes NBA contract official
- Caesars Iowa Promo Unlocks Massive $1,250 Bonus to Bet on ANYTHING!
That being said, the loss is going to be tough to swallow but it will not define their season. Wisconsin put together a very impressive year and were the definition of a team. Not many teams play that type of team basketball, and it is exactly what got them past the Kentucky Wildcats.
Speaking of Kentucky, that win alone was a sort of championship win for the Badgers. They ran into a Duke team that was nearly as talented, but the steady coaching hand of Mike Krzyzewski was what made the difference. Wisconsin was able to get under the Wildcats’ skin, and John Calipari was unable to rally his team and get them to focus on the remainder of the game.
It was a very entertaining game between Duke and Wisconsin, and it showed that both teams were on a very similar playing field.
Looking ahead for the Badgers, it is expected to be a very difficult season next year for them. They will be losing seniors Frank Kaminsky, Josh Gasser, Duje Dukan and Traevon Jackson, and there is a decent chance that Sam Dekker will end up heading off to the NBA Draft as well. If he does leave, the Badgers don’t have much of a chance of getting back to this point next year.
Despite all of the concerns looking into the future, the Badgers need to enjoy the season that they just had and realize how special of a run it was.
H/T For The Win
More from FanSided
- Joe Burrow owes Justin Herbert a thank you note after new contract
- Chiefs gamble at wide receiver could already be biting them back
- Braves-Red Sox start time: Braves rain delay in Boston on July 25
- Yankees: Aaron Boone gives optimistic return date for Aaron Judge
- MLB Rumors: Yankees-Phillies trade showdown, Mariners swoop, India goes to Seattle