On the eve of the much anticipated trade deadline, let’s review updates to FanSided’s NHL trade bait board.
If the beauty of the NHL’s trade deadline is to be encapsulated by the dynamic-altering shifts of any one team — or better yet, any one manager — this year’s award for “most daring” goes to Jarmo Kekäläinen and the Columbus Blue Jackets.
The past few days have seen the underlying basis of the Metropolitan Division restructured and the NHL rendered increasingly more competitive, as Kekäläinen’s acquisitions — former Ottawa Senators Matt Duchene and Ryan Dzingel — aim to position the Blue Jackets for a deep playoff run. And if the club’s “win now” mentality is to be taken seriously, the hope remains that an argument can be made for further seasons of promise, especially if a degree of success is to be prompted in the weeks and months ahead.
As it stands, the hockey world awaits the moves of several franchises. The Carolina Hurricanes’ depth-ridden blue line will almost certainly be adjusted, the Florida Panthers continue to gear up for a major splash and organizations like the Winnipeg Jets and Nashville Predators look to solidify themselves among the ranks of contenders for Lord Stanley’s trophy.
Our updated trade bait board is as follows.
- Mark Stone (RW, Ottawa Senators)
- Wayne Simmonds (RW, Philadelphia Flyers)
- Kevin Hayes (C, New York Rangers)
- Gustav Nyquist (RW, Detroit Red Wings)
- Winnipeg Jets’ first-round pick in the 2019 draft
- Derick Brassard (C, Florida Panthers)
- Jimmy Howard (G, Detroit Red Wings)
- Marcus Johansson (LW, New Jersey Devils)
- Adam McQuaid (D, New York Rangers)
- Michael Ferland (LW, Carolina Hurricanes)
- Artemi Panarin (LW, Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Dougie Hamilton (D, Carolina Hurricanes)
- Eeli Tolvanen (RW, Nashville Predators)
- Jack Roslovic (C/RW, Winnipeg Jets)
- Jason Zucker (LW, Minnesota Wild)
- Adam Henrique (C, Anaheim Ducks)
- Alexander Wennberg (C, Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Mike Hoffman (RW, Florida Panthers)
- Josh Ho-Sang (RW, New York Islanders)
- Jonathan Huberdeau (LW, Florida Panthers)
- Artem Anisimov (C, Chicago Blackhawks)
- Cody Ceci (D, Ottawa Senators)
- Brett Pesce (D, Carolina Hurricanes)
- Jeff Carter (C, Los Angeles Kings)
- Alec Martinez (D, Los Angeles Kings)
- Sergei Bobrovsky (G, Columbus Blue Jackets)
- Luke Glendening (C, Detroit Red Wings)
- Alex Chiasson (RW, Edmonton Oilers)
- Andre Burakovsky (LW, Washington Capitals)
- Justin Faulk (D, Carolina Hurricanes)
The NHL trade deadline shall take place on Feb. 25. Be sure to check back for further updates on what promises to be a noteworthy day.