Who remembers who came in second? We do! Rich and Jason looked at the runners-up in NBA MVP voting from 1956 to 2017 and what lessons we can glean from them in the latest episode of the Over and Back Classic NBA Podcast.
We look at how close multiple-time MVP award winners like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, LeBron James, Magic Johnson, Bill Russell and Wilt Chamberlain came to additional awards and if they might even deserve additional MVPs. We discuss players who you might not have expected to finish as high as they did in MVP voting, including Paul Arizin, Dolph Schayes, Nate Thurmond, Lenny Wilkens, George Gervin, Bernard King, Dominique Wilkins, Clyde Drexler, Alonzo Mourning, Jason Kidd and Dwight Howard.
We also talk about poor, cranky Jerry West’s bad luck in finishing No. 2 in MVP voting four times. We look at Shaq’s two MVP runners-up a decade apart and wonder what kept him from winning more, and whether Kobe Bryant really has a case for a second MVP. We discuss great seasons by Bob Pettit, Elgin Baylor, Oscar Robertson, Willis Reed, Bob McAdoo, Dave Cowens, Bill Walton, Julius Erving, Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Karl Malone, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard.
Read More: Preferred NBA playoff matchups
We also dig into some alternate NBA MVP awards of the past, including the Sporting News NBA MVP, Basketball Digest Player of the Year, Sam Davis Memorial Award and the NBPA Players Voice Award.
- Over and Back Classic NBA Podcast Archives: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/overandbacknba
- Subscribe to Over and Back on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/over-back-classic-nba-podcast/id1027430078?mt=2
- Subscribe to all the Step Back podcasts on one feed with The Step Back Podcast Network on iTunes
- Subscribe to Over and Back on Stitcher: http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/over-and-back-classic-nba-basketball
- Follow Over and Back on Twitter: @OverAndBackNBA
- Follow NBA 20 Years Ago on Twitter: @NBA20YearsAgo
- Follow Jason Mann on Twitter: @JasonMannFor3
- Follow Rich Kraetsch on Twitter: @richkraetsch
- Follow The Step Back on Twitter: @The_Step_Back
- Follow The Step Back’s Facebook page
Thanks for listening, downloading, subscribing and supporting!