Another exciting day of NBA action is in the books, but while the games themselves were fun to watch, most of the news and rumors occurred off the court. We had a season ending injury, some pretty amazing slam dunks and a lot of interesting trade rumors as we quickly approach the February 21st NBA trade deadline.
So let’s get to it:
- The biggest news of the day came out of Boston, where the Celtics announced that they’ve lost yet another guard to a season ending ACL injury. Guard Leandro Barbosa injured his knee last night and today it was revealed that he had indeed torn his ACL and will miss the remainder of the Celtics season. Vytis Lasaitis from Hardwood Houdini breaks down how Celtics fans are reacting to the loss of another player this year
- Matt Shetler from Buckets Over Broadway is looking forward to the NBA Slam Dunk Contest this Saturday, and he’s handicapped the contestants. As it stands now, James White stands as a 5-to-4 front runner, but he’s not the only contestant in the field and the odds are a great way to get an early look at how things are going to pan out.
- The Chicago Bulls made a run at guard J.J. Redick a few years ago but were out-spent by the Orlando Magic. But according to Caleb Nordgren from Pippen Ain’t Easy, Reddick may end up with Chicago anyways, even if Bulls fans have long stopped caring about whether or not they’d be seeing him attempt to hit threes in their favorite team’s uniform.
- Quixem Ramirez from Air Alamo is sticking with the NBA trade rumor trend and is reporting Hawks guard Josh Smith. Lots of teams have been rumored to have been interested in Smith, but this is the first we’ve heard of the Spurs putting their names into the hat. Quixem tells us why Smith fits and also why it wouldn’t be a crime if the Spurs passed.
- According to Chris Shelcroft from Laker Show Life, the Los Angeles Lakers have been in contact with the Minnesota Timberwolves, but it’s not about who you think. Kevin Love may have come up, but right now the two sides are talking about Lou Amundson. The Lakers seriously need some help in the frontcourt and Amundson has hinted pretty heavily that he’d like a bigger role with a better team.
- Mike Bibby may not play for the Knicks anymore, but folks in New York are still talking about him for all the wrong reasons. According to Buckets Over Broadway, Bibby was booted from his son’s high school basketball game. Matt Shetler has video of the whole ordeal, which features Bibby being cheered on as he’s escorted off the court.
- DeMar DeRozan could see his popularity soar now that he plays on a respectable roster, and he’s helping himself by posting one of the sickest dunks of the year so far. DeRozan drove the lane against a much larger Timofey Mozgov and ended up posterizing him on his way to what some are saying might be the dunk of the year. Saving the Skyhook has video evidence DeMar DeRozan might actually be good at something.
- Finally, the Indiana Pacers entered this season with high expectations. The Chicago Bulls were supposed to be bad and the Pacers were expected to finally come into their own as a force in the Eastern Conference. But things haven’t gone as expected by any means and Stephen Ajamie from It’s Always Miller Time ask the question that’s on all Pacers fans minds: it is time to panic?
Stay tuned to Fansided.com every night to get all the best nuggets of news and rumor as we take you around the NBA and recap your night.