It’s Thursday and another of NBA action is in the books. After a ridiculous 28 teams went at it yesterday, tonight we only had 4 teams playing against each other, both double headers of course. We also bring you more news from around the league, so without further ado here’s your March. 7. 2013 NBA recap!
- We begin at Madison Square Garden where the New York Knicks took on the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Knicks were without star player, Carmelo Anthony, as he was inactive with a sore right knee. Head coach Mike Woodson, said ‘Melo is day-to-day. Though many expected a blowout, the Knicks actually hung in there as J.R. Smith led with 36 points off the bench. Including shooting 6-of-13 from three-point arch. He however missed a potential game winner missing a three-pointe with 32 seconds remaining. Kevin Durant led the Thunder with 34 points, eight rebounds and six assists while Russell Westbrook contributed with 21 points, six rebounds and five assists. The Thunder have now their third straight game. OKC defeats New York 95-94. Andrew Kennedy of Thunderous Intentions recaps the game here.
- Following that crazy game, we bring you some Knicks news courtesy of Buckets Over Broadway, of course. Matt Shelter writes that while the Knicks are have much success on the court winning games, they have a few small problems. Their biggest problem however is defending the opposing point guards. You can read Shelter’s piece here.
- Over at Hardwood Houdini now where Mike Cerra has the latest on the Boston Celtics. While everyone has written the Celtics off as playoff contenders without point guard, Rajon Rondo, the Celtics have started proving doubters wrong winning key games against strong opponents such as the Indiana Pacers the other day. This said, Cerra previews what to expect from the Celtics as they continue their march for the 17th banner in the playoffs. You can read all about it here.
- We head back to the games were the second double-header of the night was the Los Angeles Clippers facing off against the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets, trying to defeated their western conference foes, defeated the Clippers 107-92 as Ty Lawson led his Nuggets scoring a double-double 21 points, 11 assists and one steal. Danilo Gallinari contributed with 20 points while Andre Iguodala added 14 points. Matt Barnes led the Clippers with 19 points, while Blake Griffin contributed with 17 points and Chris Paul adding 16 points but it ultimately wasn’t enough. The Nuggets improve to a record 41 wins, 22 losses and hold on to an impressive home record, 27 wins, 3 losses this season. Benjamin Hochman of The Denver Posts reviews Denver’s big win here.
- We finish the recap tonight with more news from Buckets Over Broadway. While everyone is anxious and readying themselves for the playoff push, Matt Shelter has gone far ahead, to June actually, and has started 2013 NBA mock draft. From noteable names such as Kentucky’s Archie Goodwin and Nerlens Noels, to Kansas’ Ben McLemore and even to UCLA’s Shabazz Muhammed, who do you think the New York Knicks will draft? You can read who Shelter thinks here.