We are three days in to the NFL free agency period, but there are a lot of top players and solid contributors left on the open market. Now that the heavy spending has been done, it is the appropriate time for teams to come swooping in and get players at a discounted and bargain value. While the big name signings to start free agency get the attention, it is the later acquisitions that fill out a roster which are key to winning a championship.
The defensive tackles are often times the unsung heroes of the defensive line who have the task of eating up blockers so the linebackers can roam free and make plays. Of course, in some schemes, the defensive tackles are given the opportunity to create an interior pass rush at the three-technique position. When you look at the remaining players on the market, there are plenty of options as both run-stuffers and interior pass rushers.
Who are some of the top available players left on the market? Let’s take a look.
Here are the top available defensive tackles that are remaining in free agency:
- Sedrick Ellis — 2012 team: New Orleans Saints
- Alan Branch — 2012 team: Seattle Seahawks
- Casey Hampton — 2012 team: Pittsburgh Steelers
- Aubrayo Franklin — 2012 team: San Diego Chargers
- Richard Seymour — 2012 team: Oakland Raiders
- Ma’ake Kemoeatu — 2012 team: Baltimore Ravens
- Antonio Garay — 2012 team: San Diego Chargers
- Dwan Edwards — 2012 team: Carolina Panthers
- Shaun Cody — 2012 team: Houston Texans
- Mike Patterson — 2012 team: Philadelphia Eagles
If your team is in the market for a defensive tackle, which of these players would you like to go after or are is there another option you would like your team to pursue? Let us hear your thoughts by sounding off in the comments section.