Tennessee Titans running back Chris Johnson told Pete Prisco of CBS Sports that he is baffled by talk that he lost a step. In the piece he throws his offensive line under the bus saying Adrian Peterson gets room to run.
“I did it first,” Johnson said of Adrian Peterson’s 2,000 yard season.
Well it is true that Chris Johnson ran for 2,000 yards before Adrian Peterson.
“Not one time did I sit back and say he did something that I can’t do. … He’s a great back. But I can’t sit here and say out of my own mouth that Adrian Peterson is better than me. All the things he’s done, I’ve done the same things. I did them first.”
- Winning an MVP award, Peterson has 1, Johnson has zero.
- Be named an All-Pro- Adrian was being named to his third All-Pro team when Johnson got his first and only nod.
- Earn a trip to the Pro Bowl- Peterson was going to his second when you were going to his first.
- Win a Pro Bowl MVP- Peterson has 1, Johnson has 0.
- Be the NFL’s leading rusher- Adrian held that honor in 2008 before you got it in 2009.
- Or lead the NFL in rushing more than once- Adrian has done it twice
- Win the FedEx Ground Player of the Year Award- Adrian won in 2008 (and again in 2012) before Johnson got it in 2009.
- Win the NFL Alumni Running Back of the year honor- Adrian held it in 2008 before Johnson in 2009.
- Win AP NFL Rookie of the Year.
- Be ranked #1 in the Top 100 Players of the NFL for a season. (Johnson was ranked #100 in 2012, while Peterson’s lowest rank was #8 in 2012)
- Win Sporting News “Offensive Player of the Year” award
- Win the Bert Bell Award- Peterson won in 2008 and 2012.
- Win All-America Honors or being a unanimous All-American.
- First team All-Big 12 for three seasons. (Johnson was All-C-USA twice)
- Be named a finalist for the Heisman Trophy
In all fairness though, Chris Johnson won the NFL Offensive Player of the Year Award in 2008, Adrian Peterson won his in 2012.
Things that Chris Johnson has done that Adrian Peterson hasn’t:
- Named to the All-C-USA team
- Hawaii Bowl MVP
- Rush for 2,000 yards and catch passes for 500 yards
- Raced a Cheetah
- Threw offensive line under bus
Of course I am biased.