Cesc Fabregas: “I was never leaving Barcelona”

Jun 8, 2013; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas (10) dribbles the ball against Haiti defenders Jean Mark Alexandre Constant and Yves Hadle Desmaret during the first half of a friendly at Sun Life Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Robert Mayer-USA TODAY Sports

Cesc Fabregas says he has never considered leaving Barcelona this summer, revealing that his only thoughts over the transfer window were to stay and be a success at the Camp Nou. Not even considering the possibility of a move to Manchester United and a return to the EPL after only just recently leaving Arsenal for a return to Spain and playing for Barca.

Fabregas was targeted by Manchester United all summer in a high profile bid covered by the English tabloids, with the Premier League champions reportedly lodging three separate bids with Barca, and new Red Devils boss David Moyes regularly talking about the possibility of the move taking place.

Fabregas who is just 26 with plenty of quality years ahead of him, had dismissed the possibility of a transfer while on Confederations Cup duty with Spain in June, but went silent on his return to pre-season training with the Catalan club. This prompted speculation that he was actively considering returning to England, or was perhaps using the uncertainty to lever a new and improved Barca contract with high profile midfielder/attacker Neymar coming into the club this summer.

Breaking his silence, Fabregas finally spoke to the Spanish media this week, revealing that there was never any talks between United and himself. ESPN FC reported.

“My dream is to play here, I have never considered leaving,” he told Mundo Deportivo. “I am at the best club.”

Fabregas explained stories which suggested he had already spoken with United, and even agreed personal terms, had been pure fabrications, and that he had been reassured by the regular public statements of support from Barca figures including Tito Vilanova, Andoni Zubizarreta, Tata Martino and Josep Maria Bartomeu.

“Things were invented,” he said. “I do not understand how after Tito, Zubi, Tata and Bartomeu all said they counted on me. I have not spoken with any other club for two summers now.”

Fabreagas also made it known that he wasn’t doing any levraging for a pay raise this summer like the UK papers published either.

“I have messages from Bartomeu and from the president [Sandro Rosell],” Fabregas. “I have spoken face-to-face with them and have not had any problem. And neither is it true that I have asked for a new contract.”

The midfielder who has fallen out of the team sheet for both Spain and Barca compared to when he was in his early 20′s said to Mundo that his only focus heading into this season was getting better and earning more caps ahead of Spain’s World Cup defense in Brazil this summer. Fabregas will want to play a role in that, and will only figure into the country’s plans if he is playing regular football for Barca. Something Fabregas is motivated by.

“What I need to do is play better, because I am at the most demanding and the biggest club in the world,” he said.

 

Topics: Cesc Fabregas, EPL, FC Barcelona, La Liga, Manchester United

Want more from FanSided?  
Subscribe to FanSided Daily for your morning fix. Enter your email and stay in the know.

LiveFeed The latest from the Fansided Network

Comments 0

NFL Rumors: Lions have discussed trading Ndamukong Suh

Comments 0

NFL Draft Rumors: Atlanta Falcons host Jeremy Hill, Carlos Hyde & Terrance West

Comments 0

Top 16 video bombs of the NBA season that will crack you up (GIF)