Until recently, it had not been publicly known that Dolphins controversial guard Richie Incognito had been accused of battery by a woman working at a Miami Dolphins gold outing over a year go. However, Miami head coach Joe Philbin said that the team did deal with the issue privately when it happened.
Philbin discussed the issue today, via Pro Football Talk:
We were made of aware of the situation, we took immediate action. Any club action we took against any player would remain private.
While clubs may try to deal with something like this privately, it seems somewhat unlikely that it would remain so. The harassment issue between Incognito and Jonathan Martin has been anything but private, and the team did publicly announce Incognito’s suspension. If any real action had been taken against Incognito, someone probably would have heard about. At this time, Philbin will not say what action the Dolphins took against Incognito for this incident, and based on what has happened with Martin, Incognito didn’t learn much of a lesson from it.
Philbin also said that Martin could have come to him at any time if he thought he was being mistreated:
I believe I’m approachable to the players.
Despite all of the recent controversy, Philbin said his team is focused on their Monday night game against the Tamp Bay Buccaneers.
“We don’t get paid for distractions. We get paid to go out and perform. We have a big game on Monday night,” Philbin said.