The Cincinnati Bengals had not blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown since 2007. That changed today after the Bengals busted through the Cleveland Browns special team line and got their mitts on a punt, creating quite the highlight.
On fourth down, trailing by one, the Browns elected to punt the ball away with just under five minutes left in the second quarter. All looked good – even the camera man was duped by the supposed punt, but things quickly turned chaotic once the punt was blocked.
With the ball rumbling around, players leaped into a pile hoping to take possession of the ball but the only problem? The ball wasn’t there as it quietly squeaked out to a mass of Bengals special team players standing right next to the massing pile.
That allowed the Bengals to quickly scoop up the rock and run it into the end zone, though, the play was reviewed as it was questioned if the recovering player was down via contact. Replay confirmed he was not and the touchdown stood, making it the first non-offensive touchdown the Cleveland Browns had given up all season.
- Calvin Johnson with 79-yard touchdown catch (GIF)
- Bengals bust out trick play (GIF)
- LeSean McCoy injures his hamstring (GIF)
- Case Keenum with wild 42-yard touchdown pass (GIF)
- Wind plays trick on New York Jets field goal (GIF)
- Raiders Matt McGloin throws first career TD (GIF)
- LeSean McCoy steals flag from Redskins fan (GIF)
- LeSean McCoy wears Raiders jacket to game (GIF)
- Robert Griffin III gets hit late on sideline (GIF)
- Carson Palmer throws touchdown to Larry Fitzgerald (GIF)
- Michael Irvin howls on TV (GIF)