It’s that time of year when contract rumors are flying in baseball and one player at the heart of a few rumors is former St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran. A report earlier this eek from ESPN’s Buster Olney reported that the Kansas City Royals had offered Beltran a $48 million contract over three years but FOX Sports baseball writer Ken Rosenthal says this just isn’t true.
Sources: #Royals have not offered Beltran $48 million for three years. To get to that level, ownership likely would need to intervene.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 6, 2013
This is the second time today that Rosenthal has denied report that had already surfaced. He countered a report on Robinson Cano that said the Seattle Mariners had offered the second baseman a $240 million contract and has now shot down another ESPN report.
It seems that the Royals are the favorites to land Beltran and doing so could help boost them to being a playoff team that they almost became this season. However if it ends up costing them a pretty penny to land him, as Rosenthal points out, ownership will start to get involved in the process. Beltran will be making other free agent visits around baseball but so far it looks like he hasn’t received any contract offers even if it’s been reported otherwise.