The Philadelphia Eagles have a big 24-3 lead over the Chicago Bears on Sunday Night Football. If they win it doesn’t help the Eagles a lot, they’d still need to beat the Dallas Cowboys to make it into the playoffs.
Similarly, the Cowboys got a win over the Washington Redskins on the road on Sunday to keep their playoff hopes alive. If they win in Week 17, they’ll win the NFC East title and a playoff berth.
That makes the Week 17 match up a playoff game if you will, or a NFC East Championship game. That game should be a good one based on that notion.
With the Eagles cruising against the Bears and the Cowboys struggling with injuries, the game could be less thrilling than advertised.
— SNF on NBC (@SNFonNBC) December 23, 2013
— NFL345 (@NFL345) December 23, 2013
According to NFL.com:
The NFL also announced that the Buffalo-New England game and the Tampa Bay-New Orleans game were both moved to 4:25 pm ET. The NFL tries to ensure there are no competitive advantages based on time of game in Week 17, and tries to create a situation where every team possible has something at stake.
The Patriots game’s change means that the Denver Broncos can’t clinch homefield advantage in the AFC until they face the Oakland Raiders in the late afternoon. The NFC South title will also not be decided until the Saints and Carolina Panthers both suit up simultaneously at 4:25 pm ET.
If the Chicago Bears lose to the Philadelphia Eagles Sunday, the Chicago-Green Bay Week 17 will also move to 4:25 pm ET. In that scenario, the Bears-Packers game will decide the NFC North.
- Rob Riggle makes fun of Cowboys, Tony Romo in Dallas Sellers Club (Video)
- Santa Claus busts a move, breaks out dance at Eagles game (GIF)
- Eagles sideline nearly does YMCA dance signaling plays (GIF)
- Eagles fan catches pass thrown into stands (GIF)
- Brent Celek scores to give Eagles 21-0 lead over Bears (GIF)
- Eagles’ Bradley Fletcher forces Bears’ Devin Hester to fumble (GIF)
- Packers’ Matt Flynn fumbles late in quarter in tie game (GIF)
- Cowboys’ Tony Romo scrambles, finds Dez Bryant for TD (GIF)