Last night, at UFC 168, the greatest fighter in the history of the sport, Anderson Silva, broke his leg in the most gruesome fashion possible. In the second round, Anderson threw a leg kick that was checked by Chris Weidman. Silva’s shin collided with Weidman’s knee, causing his leg to snap in half. Silva was immediately rushed into surgery, and he is now healing up with his family. He took to Instagram to thank his fans for everything, and that he needs time to recover and rest:
His message was in portuguese, so here is the translation (courtesy of Google):
I want to thank all my fans and friends for their support and caring message, I’m fine now and I need to be with my family, a good rest with my children and wife will help me in recovery. Thank Brazil.
The injury will likely sideline him for some time, and with nothing left to prove, it could very well be the end of the legendary career of ‘The Spider’. Here is to hoping for a speedy and healthy recovery.
- UFC 168: Anderson Silva breaks leg on kick (GIF)
- Ronda Rousey faces Sara McMann at UFC 170
- UFC 168: Post fight bonus winners
- UFC 168: Chris Leben to retire following loss to Uriah Hall?
- UFC 168 Highlights: John Howard slams Siyar Bahadurzada
- UFC 168 Highlights: Michael Johnson knocks out Gleison Tibau
- UFC 168 Highlights: Uriah Hall defeats Chris Leben by TKO
- UFC 168 results: Anderson Silva breaks leg; Chris Weidman still champion
- UFC 168 results: Ronda Rousey defeats Miesha Tate by armbar in the third
- UFC 168 results: Travis Browne KO’s Josh Barnett in Round 1
- UFC 168 results: Jim Miller submits Fabricio Camoes in Round 1
- UFC 168 results: Dustin Poirier KO’s Diego Brandao in Round 1
- UFC 168 prelim results: Uriah Hall and Michael Johnson pick up KO victories