Once again, Kobe Bryant is making headlines when it comes to the NBA All-Star game. Only this time, it is not about being the number one vote-getter or extending a streak of invites into the game. Instead, Bryant again stated that he does not think he should have been voted into the game.
“With all due respect to the fans that voted me in, I certainly appreciate that, they know how much I appreciate that, but you got to do the right thing as well,” Bryant said before the Lakers’ 109-102 loss to the Miami Heat on Thursday night. “My fans know you got to reward these young guys for the work that they’ve been putting in.”
Love him or hate him, Bryant is absolutely doing the right thing by trying to decline his invitation. He has played only six games for the Los Angeles Lakers this season and feels that some of the younger players in the league are far more deserving.
“I think it’s important for them to go in and perform,” Bryant said. “They’ve been playing all season. They deserve to be in there. They deserve to play. So, I see no reason why they shouldn’t be out there doing their thing.”
Even though he was voted in, it doesn’t sound like Bryant has any intention of playing in the game. Perhaps his stance can influence some changes in the voting for the All-Star game, like players having to participate in a set number of games prior to the last week before the All-Star break.
In the meantime, good for you Kobe. In a league that is more and more about superstars rather than teams, it is nice to see some one trying to turn down an accolade with little more than lip service.