Oct 23, 2013; Boston, MA, USA; Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Ryan Dempster (46) throws against the St. Louis Cardinals during the ninth inning of game one of the MLB baseball World Series at Fenway Park. Mandatory Credit: Greg M. Cooper-USA TODAY Sports

Ryan Dempster feels decision ‘is best’ for Red Sox

It’s also the best decision for the Boston Red Sox. I wasn’t going to be able to go out and perform the way I’m capable of performing and accustomed to performing and I just felt like that was the right thing to do…I didn’t want to go pitch out of the bullpen just to hang on. -Ryan Dempster on Front Office on MLB Network Radio

With the announcement earlier that Ryan Dempster was going to sit out the 2014 season, the financial repercussions start to come to light. Dempster, by being placed on the restricted list, is forfeiting his 2014 salary of $13.25 million, a result that the 36-year old was at peace with because, as he said, “I have enough money.”  He was asked why he didn’t just go on the disabled list and get the money he was guaranteed, and Dempster said that the neck was just part of the issue and that he didn’t feel comfortable just collecting a paycheck while staying on the DL.

The extra money could be used to go out and strengthen the 2014 Boston Red Sox. $13 million is a number that has been thrown around several unsigned free agents to be used on a one-year pillow contract. Names such as Nelson Cruz, Stephen Drew, and Ervin Santana could all now be considered to be additions to the Red Sox roster.

Tags: Boston Red Sox

  • Allen

    Talk about taking one for the team.
    Thanks Ryan.

  • Rick M

    Does this mean I will get a rebate on the Sox ticket packs I bought? I imagine the check is in the mail already.