The New Orleans Saints signed veteran cornerback Champ Bailey during the NFL free agency period earlier in the offseason, and the move was quickly followed by some discussion about whether or not the aging defensive back would be moved to safety for the final few seasons of his career.
Now, we can wonder no longer.
According to Saints general manager Mickey Loomis, the Saints signed Bailey to play cornerback and they have no current plans about moving him to safety.
From Larry Holder of the Times-Picayune:
Loomis said they intend to only play Champ Bailey at CB. “You always have a need for good players and that’s a valuable position.”
— Larry Holder (@LarryHolder) April 9, 2014
Bailey, who is hoping to resurrect his career after a disappointing 2013 campaign with the Denver Broncos, had previously said that he would be open to a move to safety, but he will not need to make that transition.
Instead, Bailey will serve as the Saints’ No. 2 cornerback opposite Keenan Lewis.