Dec 22, 2013; Orchard Park, NY, USA; A general view of a Miami Dolphins helmet during the second half against the Buffalo Bills at Ralph Wilson Stadium. Bills beat the Dolphins 19-0. Mandatory Credit: Kevin Hoffman-USA TODAY Sports

Dolphins' offensive line moving past last year's issues

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

The Miami Dolphins had the worst offensive line in the NFL last season allowing 58 sacks on second year quarterback Ryan Tannehill. While Tannehill himself has to use his athleticism more to move out of the pocket to evade the rush, much of the Dolphins offensive issues last season were due to the deplorable offensive line.

Compounding the issues last year was the bullying scandal between Jonathan Martin and Richie Incognito. Now in the offseason, the Dolphins are moving past last years troubles and are focused on improving dramatically.

The Dolphins revamped their line during the offseason, adding Shelley Smith and Branden Albert during free agency while drafting Ja’Wuan James and Billy Turner. The only staple offensive lineman from last year that is returning to the Dolphins is center Mike Pouncey.

Even with all of the changes, the offensive line feels like they are already cohesive group (Courtesy of ProFootball Talk):

“We’ve got some characters in the room and the guys are great. They’re hard working and funny. We spend a lot of time together. It makes it easier when you have a good group of guys like that. We all get along great,” said guard Shelley Smith.

The Dolphins lineman will need to stick together as a group throughout this offseason as they will certainly be a focal point in practices. If the Dolphins have any chance to improve on their record from last year, they need Tannehill to have time in the pocket without being sacked. Of course, that is easier said than done.

Use your ← → (arrows) to browse

Tags: Branden Albert Miami Dolphins Mike Pouncey Ryan Tannehill

comments powered by Disqus