While much of the basketball world is fixated on what LeBron James is going to do, there’s another NBA superstar free agent, Carmelo Anthony, who has a pretty big decision of his own.
And according to a new report from ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, we’ll find out where Anthony is playing soon enough.
Stephen A Smith: "I've been told Melo's decision will come within the next 24 hours." Smith says he will be "shocked" if it's not the Knicks
— Tommy Beer (@TommyBeer) July 9, 2014
This shouldn’t shock anyone, as the Knicks have long represented the favorite to re-sign Anthony.
New York can’t give Melo a very talented supporting cast like some of his other suitors; however, they can and have offered Carmelo the most money, a five-year deal worth about $130 million.
Although the Knicks appear to be in the drivers seat at the moment, Carmelo hasn’t fully made up his mind, according to Frank Isola of the New York Daily News.
Anthony, 30, is still debating his next move with the Knicks, Lakers and the Bulls as his top three choices, the source claims. Chicago is still in the running despite the fact that the Bulls, barring a sign-and-trade, cannot come close to matching the max deals the Knicks and Lakers offered Anthony last week. However, the Bulls do allow Anthony to stay in the Eastern Conference, play in the large market and join a contending team
It sure would be interesting to see Carmelo compete for titles in Chicago, or see if he can help ensure Kobe Bryant’s last few seasons in the NBA are winning ones. But it sure seems like this whole saga is going to end with a return to the Big Apple.