The Miami Heat are in the midst of trying to re-sign point guard Mario Chalmers, according to Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press.
Person close to Mario Chalmers says he, Heat are working on deal for him to stay. "Nothing finalized," person says.
— Tim Reynolds (@ByTimReynolds) July 12, 2014
While many assumed the Heat were done with Chalmers after a disastrous NBA Finals performance, Miami clearly isn’t giving up on the 27-year-old. Chalmers averaged 4.4 point (33.3 percent shooting from the field and 14.3 percent shooting from beyond the arc), 2.8 assists and 1.4 rebounds in five games versus the San Antonio Spurs.
Although some might laugh at the Heat bringing back Chalmers, it’s difficult to argue with the move, especially if its on the cheap because his market value was hindered by his finals play.
Chalmers had a fine regular season in 2013-14, averaging 9.8 points, 4.9 assists and 2.9 rebounds per game. His 38.5 percent shooting from outside was a team-high, which is awfully impressive considering how many shooters were on last year’s Heat. Also, his 45.4 percent shooting from the floor was a career-high.
Still, it will be interesting to see how Miami’s point guard rotation shakes out with Chalmers likely to return, the selection of Napier and Norris Cole still on the Heat roster. Perhaps Miami would consider dealing Cole, or keeping all three and easing Napier into the NBA game.
One thing is for sure, though. With LeBron James gone, Chalmers will be more of a focal point for Miami’s offense next season and they need him to shake off his play vs. the Spurs as quickly as possible.
Be sure to stay up to date with the latest NBA Rumors right here.