May 15, 2014; Los Angeles, CA, USA; Los Angeles Clippers forward Matt Barnes (22) shoots against the Oklahoma City Thunder during the third quarter in game six of the second round of the 2014 NBA Playoffs at Staples Center. Mandatory Credit: Richard Mackson-USA TODAY Sports

Los Angeles Clippers would sit out games over Donald Sterling says Matt Barnes

Last week Los Angeles Clipper star point guard Chris Paul suggested that if Donald Sterling were to remain owner of the franchise when the season kicks off, he and other players on the Clippers roster would be open to the idea of sitting out games in protest.

Of course, it’s hard to tell how legit Paul’s claim is but now it’s being backed up by teammate Matt Barnes who told the Chris Mannix Show on Sunday that such a move is a very realistic possibility.

Asked if the threat is legit, Matt Barnes gave the following response.

“I think so. We were very close to doing it last year in the middle of the playoffs, and it hadn’t really sunk in then. Now the full magnitude of what happened has sunk in. People feel very strong about what happened. It would be unfortunate if it got to either of those situations but I do believe both are a possibility.”

Many wondered what the Los Angeles Clippers would do during the playoffs last season, but sitting out games wouldn’t have been right for the fan base who shouldn’t be punished for Donald Sterling’s actions.

Going through with the idea now would be more of a shot at the NBA’s front office, though they’ve been proactive throughout the situation and want to get the drama over with as swiftly as possible.

It seems unlikely that such a threat would actually go through or have reason to do so at this point since it seems like Sterling’s ousting is imminent, even if control of the Los Angeles Clippers isn’t ceded for some time.

Tags: Los Angeles Clippers Matt Barnes

comments powered by Disqus