You may recall that the Detroit Pistons reportedly offered restricted free agent Greg Monroe a five-year, $60 million dollar contract last week. This was an increase from their previous offer which they presented the former Georgetown product when the offseason began.
News of the ‘upped’ contract offer was reported by a handful of sources and many thought it was a bit odd the big man didn’t accept the said deal considering an average of $12 million dollars per season is pretty good cash.
The reason Greg Monroe may have not accepted the offer though is because the Detroit Pistons never presented it to him. That’s the word from Monroe himself who replied to a fan on social media asking why he didn’t accept the deal.
— Greg Monroe (@M10OSE) August 10, 2014
Detroit has said all the right things regarding Greg Monroe and have been more than public in their support and desire to retain the young big man, though his reply seems to hint at some frustration.
Why would reports of a contract increase surface if Monroe never received such? Was there something lost in translation? Did Monroe simply not receive the offer yet? Or is somebody not telling the full truth?
It’s certainly an odd situation and this appears to have only increased the uncertainty regarding Greg Monroe’s future with the Detroit Pistons organization. Maybe Monroe was dropping a hint towards the Pistons front office, hinting he might take such an offer if given to him?
Either way, we might be waiting a while as Monroe has until October 1st to decide if he wants to accept a contract offer or a one-year qualifying deal.