Nov 10, 2013; Pittsburgh, PA, USA; Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert (77) prepares to block Buffalo Bills outside linebacker Jerry Hughes (55) during the first quarter of a game at Heinz Field. Pittsburgh won the game 23-10. Mandatory Credit: Mark Konezny-USA TODAY Sports

Marcus Gilbert signs new 6-year, $30 million deal with Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed offensive tackle Marcus Gilbert to a $30 million extension that will keep him in Pittsburgh through the 2019 season, the team announced on Tuesday.

“It means I am locked in hopefully as a Steeler for the rest of my career,” said Gilbert. “It’s a blessing to work for a great organization, the Rooney family, Kevin Colbert and Coach (Mike) Tomlin. Just to be around in Pittsburgh, where they show you so much love, I couldn’t be happier and in a better place.”

The Steelers selected Gilbert in the second round of Florida in the 2011 NFL Draft. He started all 16 games at right tackle last year and has started 34 of a possible 35 games he was healthy for over the last three years.

After being a glaring weakness on the team for years, the Steelers offensive line is quietly becoming one of the top young units in the NFL. With Gilbert, Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey and former first round pick David DeCastro at right guard, the nucleus is there for the Steelers line to develop into a formidable unit in the near future.

“I’ve seen the growth on the offensive line, the guys I came in with,” said Gilbert. “The line is growing and we can become something special. That was one of my main focal points. To give everything I have to this organization means so much to me.”

Gilbert was college teammates with Pouncey at Florida and also signed an extension in June to remain with the Steelers through the 2019 season.

Tags: Marcus Gilbert NFL Pittsburgh Steelers

comments powered by Disqus