The Intercontinental Championship match between Big E. Langston and Curtis Axel was cancelled due to an injury to Axel. During the pre-game show, Big E. Langston called out United States Champion Dean Ambrose, and the two squared off with the title on the line.
The two spent a few moments staring each other at the beginning of the match. Langston had control of the match from the get-go. Ambrose got some momentum and hit Langston with multiple strikes and tried to push him, but he was unable to regain momentum from the larger Langston.
Eventually Ambrose did gain the upper-hand in the match. After a drop kick to Langston, who was on the ropes, Ambrose tried to pin but Langston kicked out quickly. He then got Langston in a hold, but Langston just stood up reversing the move.
Ambrose tried again to lock him in the sleeper hold, but Langston backed up into the turnbuckle to break free. Then Langston got some momentum, and attempted to pin Ambrose. He kicked out.
Ambrose tried a double knee drop but Ambrose move. Langston got Ambrose with a belly-to-belly slam, but Ambrose kicked out again.
Ambrose eventually left the ring to get his breath. He was walking up the ramp looking like he was leaving, but Langston grabbed him by the hair and pulled him back to the ring. Ambrose hit Langston with a DDT but couldn’t pin him.
Ambrose was outside the ropes on the side of the ring when Big E Langston speared him. They both fell to the ground. Langston got back in the ring, Ambrose got up and didn’t get back in the ring. He was visibly wobbly on his feet. Langston won on a count out, but Ambrose retained the title.
He got his title and tried to leave, but Langston dragged him back into the ring and took out Ambrose. As Ambrose laid on the mat, Langston held up the United States title, but he didn’t win the belt.
Remaining Match Card:
- Los Matadores vs. The Real Americans
- AJ Lee vs. Brie Bella (Divas Championship)
- CM Punk vs. Ryback and Paul Heyman (Hell in a Cell)
- John Cena vs. Alberto Del Rio (World Heavyweight Championship)
- Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton w/ Shawn Michaels as special guest referee (WWE Championship, Hell in a Cell)
- Randy Orton defeated Daniel Bryan for the WWE Championship
- A.J. Lee defeats Brie Bella to retain the WWE Divas Championship
- John Cena defeats Alberto Del Rio for the WWE Heavyweight Championship
- Los Matadores defeat the Real Americans
- CM Punk defeats Ryback in Hell in a Cell
- Kane returns to the WWE, attacks the Wyatts and choke slams The Miz
- Cody Rhodes and Goldust defeat The Shield and The Usos to retain WWE Tag Team Championship
- Damien Sandow defeats Kofi Kingston during pre-show
- Big E Langston challenged Dean Ambrose for WWE United States Championship
- WWE Hell in a Cell 2013, how to watch online