The San Francisco 49ers and right guard Alex Boone are in a standoff of sorts as Boone holds out for a new contract. Boone is under contract for the upcoming season but he wants a new deal.
More from NFL
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Packers training camp news: Jordan Love struggles, Bakhtiari schedule, position switch
- 3 Cowboys who won’t be on the roster after training camp
- Packers: Aaron Rodgers reached out to Jordan Love this offseason
- Damar Hamlin is a ‘full go’ at Bills training camp
Unfortunately for Boone, the 49ers have a policy of not ripping up existing deals and drafting new deals. They expect players to fulfill their contractual obligations. The team has reached out to Boone, but it seems like it has accomplished nothing.
From the Sacramento Bee:
"General manager Trent Baalke and other members of the 49ers have reached out recently to holdout Alex Boone, according to multiple sources, but the team’s starting right guard remains resolute in his stance."
The thing about the 49ers’ stance is that it is hypocritical. The 49ers’ just restructured outside linebacker Ahmad Brooks’ contract, creating an extra $2 million in salary-cap space. And to top it off, the 49ers have just under $10 million in cap space to work with.
Boone signed the deal when he was a back up and is currently the 43rd-highest paid guard in the league. Now that he has proven himself as not only a starter, but an integral part of the 49ers’ offensive line, he wants to be paid as such.