Los Angeles Lakers’ star Kobe Bryant wanted to gamble with a rookie, Tony Gaffney, so he gave him $10,000
More from Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA rumors: Hawks trade candidate, Sixers miss out, Lakers almost lose Reaves
- Predicting NBA’s Christmas Day Schedule: Lakers, Warriors highlight slate of postseason rematches
- Bronny James collapses at practice, taken to ICU with cardiac arrest
- NBA Rumors: Lakers nearing another savvy minimum signing
- Lakers projected lineup and rotations heading into 2023-24 season
Los Angeles Lakers’ guard Kobe Bryant is know being a rich man and psychopath on
Kobe Bryant has made quite a lot of money in his career and if he likes you, he apparently doesn’t mind spending. He took Tony Gaffney under his wing back in 2009. He would force Gaffney to guard him, attend practice early and carry his bags.
However, Gaffney wound up being the Lakers’ final cut. At Gaffney’s rookie initiation party in Las Vegas, where Kobe Bryant was gambling.
“L.A. made it clear that I made the team. I was the last player cut at morning shootaround on opening night against the Clippers,” Gaffney explained via David Pick of Basketball Insiders. “I walked into the high-stakes room, but I didn’t have any money. I then saw Kobe, he was watching some guys throw some money around before he turns to me and says, ‘What are you doing here, rook?’
“Next thing I know, Kobe throws his black card on the table and hands me 10 stacks ($10,000). What I really wanted to do at the time was just put it in my pocket and run. Sure enough, an hour later it was all gone.”
Gaffney eventually wound up with the Celtics where Kobe Bryant jokingly called him a “traitor” before giving him a hug.
Kobe Bryant averaged 13.1 points, 6.3 assists, 4.3 rebounds and 1.2 steals per game while shooting 42.5% from the field, 18.8% from beyond the arc and 85.7% from the free throw line. He has averaged 25.5 points, 5.3 rebounds, 4.8 assists and 1.5 steals per game while shooting 45.4% from the field, 33.5% from three and 83.8% from the charity stripe in his career.
More from FanSided
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return
- LA Galaxy vs. Club Leon Leagues Cup match rescheduled for July 26