Marc Staal and the New York Rangers are having trouble meeting in the middle on a contract extension
According to NBC’s Pro Hockey Talk, Marc Staal and the New York Rangers don’t exactly see eye-to-eye on what his contract extension should look like. By, like, ah…. half a million per.
More from New York Rangers
- NHL Rumors: Quick to Rangers, Lucic’s Boston reunion, Wheeler, Duchene bought out
- NHL Draft winners and losers 2023: Blackhawks hit jackpot, Maple Leafs flop
- NHL Mock Draft: Connor Bedard No. 1, but who’s next?
- NHL rumors: Calgary in Flames, Kings, Flyers set for big deals, Hall to Chicago
- Hockey Hall of Fame Class of 2023 revealed: Welcome to immortality!
In a statement released by Staal’s agent, Paul Krepelka, nothing new has really come of the extension talks.
"“Talks are open-ended,” Krepelka said of the negotiations with the Rangers that have gone nowhere. “No deadline has been given as yet, though that’s obviously subject to change as we move further into the season.”"
It seems as if Staal, 28, is looking for a $6 million AAV for the next six years- while the Rangers are looking to offer what Dan Girardi got, which was $5.5 mill AAV for the same length of years. Girardi is the highest-paid defenseman on the Rangers, with newly elected captain Ryan McDonagh coming in second at a $4.7 million AAV.
While it seems like the Rangers would rather be stingier with their dollars than Staal would hope, the team might have to pony up the cash if they hope to keep the blue liner.
When he hits the free agent market in July, he will arguably be the highest-sought-after defenseman available, which could send his market value skyrocketing.
A contract extension for Johnny Boychuk with the New York Islanders, which should happen before free agency, as well, could inevitably cause Staal’s value to increase by default. Boychuk is due for a significant pay raise, and it’s likely the Islanders are looking to give it to him.
More from FanSided
- MLB Trade Grades: Dodgers land Amed Rosario from Guardians
- Colorado gives Pac-12 a possible death knell with move to Big 12
- NFL rumors: Dalvin Cook suitor maintaining very ‘real’ interest
- Braves get dose of bad news on Max Fried as ace nears return
- LA Galaxy vs. Club Leon Leagues Cup match rescheduled for July 26